While, yes, my heart hurts for the reminder that this is the 5th September 24 without my Daddy around to celebrate his birthday, I am instead reminded that for 5 years we have banded together to care for others. For five years we have reached out to respond to specific needs. We have brightened people's days. We have shared the load.
Let me tell you a little of what we've done together this last year:
We made it possible for a friend to travel to travel to have some time with a family member at the end of their life. We've fixed cars. We've provided groceries. We've helped with gas cards. We've donated pizza lunches and school supplies for Title 1 classrooms. We've made sure teachers have classroom needs met. We've sponsored lunches, coffees, and treats for those who need encouragement. We've provided a wedding reception for someone who could not afford it. We've reached out in love.
Do Good Day 2017 is on a Sunday. We will be hosting a gathering at our home for those of you who are local- drop in any time between 1-5. We've have snacks and drinks- no need to bring anything to share. However, we're asking that you help us out in several ways:
1. We'd love you to share your stories. We're asking that you share with us 5 ways you've "done good" as we compile a written resource as to who we are. *shared stories*
2. Between now and 9/24, we're challenging you to do 5 "do good" deeds. We've shared with you in the past lots of different suggestions for doing good, but we'd love to help you think of more if you're at a loss for what to do. *five deeds*
3. As I write this, we are anticipating how Hurricane Irma will impact Florida. Consider those in Florida- or those in Houston still reeling from Harvey- as ones to whom you can reach out. I have 2 dear friends who are staying in their home (because of work obligations) who I anticipate will need lots of help rebuilding. If you aren't directly connected to anyone in Florida, I'm happy to let you know their needs. *disaster relief*
4. Consider sharing on Social Media some ways you are helping using the hashtag #DoGoodDay. This will help us as we compile our stories. *social media*
5. If you are able to come to our drop-in event, consider helping us by rebuilding our resource bin. We are down to only a couple grocery store cards- we are out of gas cards and "box store" cards (Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc.) We'd love you to consider donating gift cards toward our united cause. Alternatively, we will sometimes be in a bind to send cash as their is a need if you feel comfortable donating in that way. *rebuilding resources*
Together we are a force for good. Together we can do so much more. And together we can be encouraged to do even more. Excited to see what #DoGoodDay looks like this year. Thanks for being a part of this movement.