Wednesday, August 14, 2013

these are a few of my favorite things (from this summer....)

I wish, like Oprah, I could give you all a little serving of each of these treats from my summer.  Instead, I'll lay them out for you in list form and let you decide if you'd like to partake.

Favorite way I've spent money:
1. Grief Healing Through Photography- the course I've been taking at Sawtooth
      Dan joked that this class should have been called "Becky Johnston, please take this class."  It has been just what I've needed for sure.
2. Working out with Debbie
      If you've missed me talking about it, I urge you to read this or this.  It's worth the money and then some.
3. Wild Goose

Favorite books:
For the grieving category (can't imagine everyone would love these)
The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
A Force of Will by Mike Stavlund
****
Other  (and both of my summer faves came from my friend MSTJ!)
Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck
Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple

Favorite restaurants:
Brothers in Clemmons
Jeffery Adams in Winston
That random one where Laurie and I got margaritas in Sedona
White Duck Taco Shop in Asheville
Blue Mountain Pizza in Weaverville
Universal Joint in West Asheville

Favorite water moments:
in the pool with Cousin Emily and the Aunties at Kure Beach
in the French Broad with Dan and E at Wild Goose
Splashville with E
in the sound with the Wessells
Saddlebrook pool

Favorite experiences for E:
Ms. Leslie's art camp
Camp Oonie Koonie Cha
Camp of Kids
Wild Goose
Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination

Favorite Birchbox treat:
Curly hair keeper
     Birchbox is the silliest way I've spent money this year... and one of the most fun!

Favorite summer meal:
Tomato pie, roasted vegetables, sweet tea
     ("My" tomato pie recipe is awesome, but it's better when it's prepared by the one who gave me the recipe.)
Sandwiches for D's birthday

Favorite drinks of the summer:
Anything from Addison Farms, particularly "Coming Home"
Beer, most varieties, if enjoyed outside
White wine with fresh peaches (thanks, Christy!)


Favorite 'other' summer moments:
silly string fights
s'mores
convertible rides
beer outside
Arizona
Indigo Girls at Wild Goose
winery afternoons
hiking at Graveyard Fields
walks in the rain
tears in a conference room
Hanover Seaside Club
Barenaked Ladies show
time with family in the mountains
birthday dinners
playing in mud puddles
enjoying the beauty of bridges on our road trip
Bob Evans' farm
truckers caps
sparklers
dog parks
singing and swinging


One final note: One of my assignments in my grief class allowed me to look at all of the moments I've celebrated since the bottom dropped out in our world.  I have had lots of them.  Lots.  I am beyond thankful for the celebrating, especially as I remember that I "should" be 8 months pregnant right now.  Keep in mind that while my Facebook page has been updated a ton this summer with some amazing moments, that doesn't mean that every day is easy.  I have to wonder- as so many of us have discussed- how many of us remember and acknowledge the pain behind the posts.  The bad and the good moments are seasoned with tears... fortunately our days see less hard tears now and more tears of healing.  And for that, we are grateful.

No comments: