Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Like a ton of other Americans, I don't give proper attention to Memorial Day.  I always usually take time to pause to try and think about the true meaning of the day... but (again) like a ton of other Americans, the day rushes by me in a "Welcome to Summer" kick-off rather than it's intended purpose.

This year is different.

This year, at 12:00am (on the dot!) of Memorial Day, I did some online shopping.  I bought a case for this flag:



My Daddy was a veteran.  We talked about his service throughout my life, but not to the extent that I totally grasped what he did.  He told more stories of what it was like hanging out with his Army buddies than of his duties... but I know his service changed him.

Now, like so many people across our country, I have this flag in my home (soon to be in my brother's) as a "thank you" for that service.

It's humbling.  And though my Daddy didn't lose his life while he was serving, he was a veteran.  For that, I am thankful.

I'm proud to be his daughter.

In memory.

No comments: